As kitchen equipment was only the bare necessities I experimented with using what I had.
One coffee mug if you don't have a measuring jug.
colander if you don't have a flour sifter
large mixing bowl or large pot.
2 mugs/cups of plain flour
1/2 mug/cup of sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 egg slightly beaten
1 mug/cup of buttermilk
4 tablespoons of melted butter
1 generous cup of frozen blueberries/any berry or banana or other fruit chopped into small chunks.
1. Preheat ovenh to 180 degrees
2. grease and flour muffin tins
3. Melt butter
- Sift flour, baking powder, and sugar into large pot/bowl
- In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk and melted butter
- Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture
- Rotate bowl/pot while gently mixing in ingredients with a butter knife or wooden spoon until just moist.
- Gently flod in the berries
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full
- Fill any empty muffin cups with a bit of water
- Bake in hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until muffins are slightly brown and firm on top. Test with a skewer or press gently on top to see if muffins spring back.
- Remove muffins from tin immediately and place of cooling rack.
- Put on the jug and make a cup of your favorite tea, put a chair outside and enjoy!
- Be careful of the native wild life they will try and poach your muffins when your back is turned.
If using self raising flour instead of plain flour no need to add baking powder!
For Muffins that are moist in the middle a with a nice firm top, combine the egg and liquid ingredients and let the mixture sit until the butter is almost solidified. Then stir a little more and add to the dry ingredients.